The new AI-based language system- ChatGPT has become a hot topic across the internet. It grabbed an amazing amount of attention after it was released in November 2022. Its user count touched one million in mere five days. Hence, this unique system has something exceptional to offer to the IT industry.
Talking about the IT industry, software testing is one of the core points where ChatGPT is expected to flourish. So, what’s ChatGPT and how it can be an exceptional tool for software testing are explained in this blog.
What is ChatGPT?
Chat Generative Pre-Trained Transformer which is shortened as ChatGPT is an AI system. It uses model sets comprising large language to provide original responses to the users. ChatGPT generates original material with the right combination of human conversation and in-depth research.
OpenAI uses various interfaces like ChatGPT, Playground, APIs, etc. to improve its AI capabilities. Its interface is particularly designed for providing sophisticated and better control of model dynamics. Along with that, it responds to and tracks previous conversations to help provide accurate answers at every step.
How ChatGPT will make Testing Better?
ChatGPT can be extensively used for various processes of amplifying the task of software testing faster and smoother.
#1- API Testing
Here, ChatGPT can be useful in generating test scripts and frameworks such as Postman or Rest Assured. It can be used for testing various vacked APIs with popular languages like NodeJS, Java, Python, etc.
#2- Unit Testing
#3- Mobile Testing
Even for mobile testing, ChatGPT is useful in creating test scripts with major test frameworks such as Appium, etc. Thus, the testing team can use it for testing various mobile applications which support Swift, Java, etc.
#4- Integration Testing
#5- End-to-End Testing
ChatGPT Focuses on Context-Driven Testing
To explain it simply, ChatGPT is trained upon massive data sets of texts suited for human conversations. These are the following context scenarios that it can offer its expertise.
#1- Dwelled with Subtle Humor
As you can understand, ChatGPT can also tell a joke if asked. Thus, users can generate various humorous responses accordingly. They can easily specify the type of joke accordingly.
#2- Creating Stories
This unique system can easily create original stories according to the user’s preferences. They just need to fill in the guidelines and get the amazing story they are looking for. The starting points are given by the user and ChatGPT will start writing an engaging story.
#3- Social Media
It is evident that ChatGPT has the potential to offer new content ideas for social media. People can train it to generate exclusive content. Whatever theme, topic, or industry, users can easily create trendy captions for different social Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, etc.
#4- Real-time Responses
The best part about ChatGPT is that it gives real-time responses. It provides a natural and seamless conversation for the users. Thus, this feature can be used for various purposes in various industries such as e-commerce and customer services. It is trained to respond in a human-like manner.
#5- Personalized Responses for Emails
Giving a personalized response to design emails. The model of ChatGPT can be trained to create useful responses for various types of emails. It is super easy to add specific details to the email to the targeted audience.
#6- Using ChatGPT for complicated Automated Test Cases
If you are thinking of using ChatGPT for technical tasks, then you are right. ChatGPT also has the capability to build codes. The generated codes can be used as a prototype to design particular tasks. In this way, it eliminates repetitive tasks and completes everything on time.
Incredible Use of ChatGPT for Automation Testing
ChatGPT recorded impeccable growth within the first week after its launch. Apart from the conversational aspect, it is an amazing tool to generate test cases. Yes, it can write codes and write test cases to test a login form.
These are some of the common ways through which you can use ChatGPT for automation examples.
- Test Case Generation– ChatGPT understands the requirements and translates them into different input series along with expected outputs. Hence, it becomes useful in automating the whole process of writing the test cases and reducing human error and time consumption. It can generate prompt test cases to verify if the requirements are implemented accurately. For example, adding a mandatory requirement that the password must contain 8 characters.
- Test Data Generation– Secondly, experts can train ChatGPT to work on large data. Through that, it can generate the test data the same as the real-world data. Ultimately, it automates the whole process and optimizes the required time. Some examples of customer data are addresses, names, contact information, etc.
- Test Scenario Generation– Also, ChatGPT can effectively generate test scenarios by analyzing the requirements and translating them into detailed steps for executing them. So, the accuracy peaks with the use of ChatGPT for generating test scenarios. The testers can add a requirement that users can easily login into the system with an email address or username. Thus, ChatGPT can generate test scenarios like “test login with username,” “Test login with an email address,” etc.
- Chatbot Integration– You can also integrate Chatbot with ChatGPT for improving the conversation flow. It is mainly useful for non-tech users to interact and provide inputs for the testing process. For instance, users can interact with chatbots to determine the requirements for a software system. Also, a chatbot can use the ChatGPT to build test scenarios and test cases to complete the task correctly.
What are the limitations of ChatGPT in software testing?
These are the following limitations that persist in ChatGPT when it comes to software testing.
#1- Limited Generation of Test Cases
The inputs play an important role in generating test cases. However, the output is not guaranteed to be comprehensive or relevant. It may not have the capability to build those edge tests and cases for the corner scenarios which are crucial for software testing.
#2- Inability to Understand Code
Secondly, ChatGPT is unable to understand any sort of code. Code is a crucial component for the task of software testing. Without the knowledge of coding, it is not possible to understand the code logic and identify potential defects or bugs.
#3- Lack of Execution Power
As it doesn’t understand the code structure, it will not be able to execute the tests. It can provide particular test suggestions for execution. This signifies that users still have to implement as well as evaluate the tests manually.
#4- No Contextual Understanding
Significantly, ChatGPT doesn’t have the ability to recognize the context or purpose of software applications. As a result, inaccurate responses can arise during software testing.
ChatGPT- Game Changer for Software Testing
These are some points that simplify how ChatGPT is going to help in software testing.
- Firstly, it will automate all the repetitive tasks which will reduce any chance of human error.
- With the execution of automated techniques, the task of test execution will happen much faster.
- Along with that, it will reduce the requirement of manual testing which will encourage testers to give time to complicated tasks.
- Thirdly, ChatGPT can provide accuracy and consistency smoothly to run the test cases.
In conclusion, using ChatGPT for software testing will revolutionize overall growth and achieve top quality assurance. Several qualities such as vast knowledge, advanced language processing capabilities, and others allow efficient and natural testing experience. ChatGPT can easily automate manual and repetitive tasks, test scenarios, and validate user inputs.